Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A new ankle, a new car, a new year...

No Coffee No Work mugJust like many of you, the new school year is quickly approaching. I have mixed feelings about it. You see, I haven't worked in 5 months... Sounds nice, and seriously, I can't even count the number of times I have thought that IF I just had more time, I could create some AMAZING lesson plans... this wasn't exactly what I meant in having time off, and no AMAZING lesson plans have ever come during this time off.

You know how they say, "Be careful what you ask for!" well, I should have listened because one of the last things I remember saying at lunch to my co-workers was, "I think it's time for 'Johnny' to have a different teacher." See, he was VERY difficult and although I adored him, he drove me nuts. (You know the type, right?) I MEANT that maybe HE should switch classrooms and be in class for the last trimester with one of my fellow 1st grade team members, both of which were willing to take him... WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED WAS, I was in a MAJOR car accident on April 7th driving home from work after picking up my two girls. Here is a link where I blogged about the accident on my scrapbooking blog that I had started. So, HE did get a different teacher, he got a long-term sub to finish out the year while I was in the hospital and later home... in a wheelchair.

I ended up with a broken vertebrae, stitches and staples in my left knee which was open to the kneecap, and 2 plates and 7 screws in my right ankle. I had to be in a wheelchair for 3 months and started walking about 3 weeks ago. I still have daily swelling and pain, which is why I'm so nervous about returning to work. I go to the doctor next week and may end up with some limitations to my job, but mainly just no recess duty so I can ice during recess (which might actually be a good thing since  I HATE strongly dislike recess duty anyways).

But to put a positive spin on it, because I don't want to be "Debbie Downer", or better yet, Cynical Cyndy (it kinda works), I am REALLY excited about the new school year. Yesterday, I bought a brand-spankin' new Toyota Sienna SE which I am COMPLETELY in LOVE with. I drove around scoping out B2S prices today only because I wanted to drive my new car. My physical therapy today measured that I have regained full mobility in my flexing of my right foot, and am still working and improving on the pointing, but my NEW ankle is getting better each day. AND I truly am excited to get back to work (not just for a FULL paycheck, although I will love that) but for the distraction and the fresh start to getting life back to "normal". My oldest daughter will be starting Kindergarten at my school this year and I will be the English component of the Dual-Immersion program for 1st grade. We also just hired a new Superintendent. We have some changes ahead and I can't wait to get back to life as I remember it being.

And finally, a HUGE thank you to all you blogging teachers, because over the past 5 months, I would often read and visit blogs to help distract my mind from the pain and the boredom of having to be immobile. So please forgive me for not sharing A BUNCH yet, but I promise I will once I back in school mode. I'm ALMOST there! Just really started working on things this week. I'm beginning to feel "normal" again with motivation to return to my life before my accident, minus running (can't do that for a year, at least). Here's to a new school year!!! With coffee!!!

11 comments:

  1. So glad that you are back on the mend. Good luck with your rehab and the start of a new school year. It sounds like you have rebounded quickly!!
    Just found your blog and became your newest follower.
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just read about the accident on your other blog, made me tear up! I am glad your babies got through it okay and that you had so much support!Good luck on going back to work, I hope you have a great year! I am your newest follower :)

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, Cindy! So sorry to hear about your accident. I'm a runner too, so that's a real bummer to have to wait so long to hit the road again. BTW, you emailed me about a little graph that you couldn't access on my blog site. I think I've fixed it now!
    Take care.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your story, so happy that you are on the mend. (and so happy to discover your blog!) Here's to a wonderful school year! Heading out for a run this morning!

    The Accidental Teacher
    www.teachinginthecouv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, can I relate to your saying "Be careful what you wish for!" It all started 2 years ago when we got pregnant with a "whoops" baby (3rd child). . . then 3 weeks into the pregnancy I fell and broke my wrist rollerskating at a birthday party. . . then my bloodwork came back with a high possibility of down syndrome (did an amnio and everything turned out normal). . . then got gestational diabetes. . . then had to go every 3 days for a non-stress test b/c baby wasn't keeping a consistent heart beat. . . then baby was born with a hemangioma (strawberrry birthmark)that grew and grew and ulcerated and became one giant, open stinky, grody wound at 2 months. . . then 4 month old baby started losing weight and was in hospital for 18 days for failure to thrive (after a zillion genetic tests and digestive tests they decided it was the stupid hemangioma causing her so much pain that she just wasn't eating). . . then baby got a tube put in stomach to facilitate feeding. . . then ONE MONTH after we got home from hospital, while I was breastfeeding the baby, I found a tiny breast lump and was diagnosed with BREAST CANCER at age 38!!! I went through mastectomy, chemo, radiation, hysterectomy/oopherectomy all while trying to take care of a 6 month old baby (as well as my other 2 kids) and my last day of chemo happened to fall on her first birthday! All of this because when I found out I was pregnant I said, "GEE, I WISH I COULD STAY HOME WITH THIS BABY since I didn't get to with the other two!!!" YEP, be careful what you wish for! (Or at least make sure you wish for the exact details of how you want it to happen!) LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that your healing well. I know you loved Johnny as much as you could, but isn't a great part of teaching the fact that when the years over, you can open the door and say, "Good luck." If only all of life's problems had a designated end date.

    Thank you for sharing,

    www.strengthtoteach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the year is going well (landed here looking for counting pictures ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute blog title. I just found you. I teach first in CA. Hope you are feeling better. Come visit me sometime.
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that you've been so optimistic about things. It's best to get off to a fresh start at the beginning of the new year, yes? Congrats on the car as well. It might be a good chance to flex your feet through driving - combined with walking around and exercise, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m so sorry about what happened. It must have been a terrible experience. I’m glad you’re okay, though you got injuries. I like your optimism that, in spite of what happened, you’re still excited to drive your new car and start a new life again. I hope you’ve totally recovered by now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, how was your two years of experience driving the Toyota Sienna SE? I’m pretty sure driving this car helped you with your physical therapy throughout those years, am I right? How is your condition now? I hope you’ve totally recovered. Anyway, keep safe always!

    >Kyle Schmidt

    ReplyDelete